January 27, 2011

It is that time of year again, when beekeepers in Minnesota decide whether or not to add more bees to their existing apiary. Right now I am trying to decide if I should order 2 or 3 packages. My girls don't appear to be surviving this winter very well.. I will know more in February when hopefully the temps are high enough for me to crack open their hive and get a good look. I went out yesterday and tapped on the hive but there was no hum, no flight. I checked again today, no tapping, just observation. I saw one bee at the hive entrance so at least a few are survivng. Unfortunately we have two months of winter left. 

I am still optimistic as my little girls have surprised me before.